Other Ways To Give
Recurring monthly donors give a modest, pre-set gift every month that is charged to their credit card automatically. This provides a steady, ongoing source of books and resources for educators and children across the country.
Monthly giving is flexible: You can cancel, change your gift amount, or change your credit card information any time simply by notifying us at email@example.com or (866) 732-3669.
- Contact your company’s human resources department to find out if they match gifts.
- Request a matching gift form from them and complete the form using the following information.
- Email or mail your completed employer matching gift form to:
EIN (Employer Identification Number): 52-1779606
1319 F Street, NW
Washington, DC 20004
Organizational type: education, literacy, basic needs, community improvement
- Online Giving
- Click here to donate [www.firstbook.org/donate]
- Check the box that reads, “Dedicate my donation in honor or in memory of someone”
- Follow the easy steps to fill in their name and email
- Complete your donation
- Offline Giving
- Simply download our donation form mail it to us at the address printed on the form. Complete the section dedicated to honoring or memorializing someone special.
- First Book will send a letter to you confirming receipt of your gift, and a separate letter to the person(s) to be informed.
- A federal income charitable contribution tax deduction based on the stock’s fair market value on the date of the gift (up to 30% of your adjusted gross income) if the stock was owned for more than one year
- Carryover of the deduction for up to five additional years if the fair market value of the gift is more than 30% of your adjusted gross income
- Avoidance of capital gains tax that is due when you sell appreciated stock
Note: Stock owned for one year or less is considered a short-term asset and usually won’t produce attractive tax benefits. Also, if stock has decreased in value, selling it and making a cash gift to the SPLC is probably more beneficial. You can take a capital loss on federal taxes and still enjoy a charitable deduction up to 50% of your adjusted gross income.
How to Donate Stocks & Securities
- Provide First Book’s brokerage account information to your broker:
Merrill Lynch DTC 5198
For A/C: First Book, Washington, DC
Telephone number 301-230-6639
- Email or call us at (866) 732-3669 with the name of the stock and the number of shares being transferred. This ensures the gift is properly credited and acknowledged.